Bozrah Church is a Congregational Christian Church serving Bozrah and all the other towns of Southeastern Connecticut. Founded in 1739, Bozrah Church has been a spiritual cornerstone and center of community activity for generations. Read on to learn more about who we are and what we believe.
A word on history
Bozrah Church was originally established as the New Concord Society on January 3, 1739 with Yale graduate, Reverend William Throop, as its pastor. Services were held in the homes of members until the first meetinghouse was established near 44 Bozrah Street (Connecticut Route 163), a site just South of the Church’s present location, on land donated by John Brichard. In 1770, a new and larger meetinghouse was built on the west side of Bozrah street, further south, on land donated by Simon Gager; the present church was dedicated on October 25, 1843 and is built on land donated by industrialist Asa Fitch. To learn more, please read Our Story.
Who we are
We find our identity in our relationships with God, the communities we serve, and one another. We are:
- A place for those seeking God, and for those who want to grow in faith , deepen their relationship with God, and increase their knowledge of His word.
- A resource to local communities. We meet financial needs, offer prayer and friendship, and provide emotional and spiritual support.
- A family, and family oriented. We are diverse, and pride ourselves in offering a relaxed and inviting atmosphere to worship God.
What we believe
We believe the Bible is the inspired, inerrant, infallible Word of God. It is the final authority in faith and life. We believe in one God existing in three persons: the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We believe Jesus died for our sins, and that all who come by grace through faith to accept Jesus are born again of the Holy Spirit and become children of God. We believe we are to meet together regularly for worship and fellowship. To learn more, please read our Statement of Faith and our Covenant.
A word about Congregationalism
Congregational Churches are sometimes known as the church of the Pilgrims after the small congregations of the early 1600s. We inherit from them a wonderful spiritual heritage uniquely suited to our contemporary world. To learn more, please read The Congregational Way.