The Colonists who settled in what is now Southeastern Connecticut were Puritans at heart. Persecuted in England, they came to the New World to establish a Zion, determined to model their Church on the New Testament.
Bozrah Church was established on January 3, 1739 as the New Concord Society with Yale graduate, Reverend William Throop, as pastor. Services were held in homes until the first meeting house was built on land given by John Birchard. The first meeting house sat on the easterly side of Bozrah Street (Connecticut Route 163), a short distant south of the present Church. A larger meeting house was built around 1770 on land given by Simon Gager, on the westerly side of Bozrah street, opposite the original building.
The early meeting houses were plain structures. Ladies sat on one side of the Church with the children, while the men sat on the other side. Young men and older boys sat together, occasionally in the balcony. The service included two long sermons with lunch in between, so it was little wonder a tithing man was needed. If one was disorderly or dozed off, he would tap the person with his long stick. The tithing men also guarded against Sabbath breaking, gaming, tippling and idleness.
The present church was dedicated on October 25, 1843, and was built on land dedicated by Asa Fitch. The building’s stone work was done by Nathaniel Rudd using granite provided by Elijah Abel from a quarry on Bashon Hill Road. The basement served as the Town Hall until 1947, when the Town gave the church a deed for its share of the property. In 1872, Clarissa Haughton gave a five acre lot for a parsonage, on which the present parsonage stands. The church remained largely unchanged until 2007, when the fellowship hall and education building were added.
Notable members of Bozrah Church include William E. Dodge, a native of Hartford Connecticut who became a New York businessman and member of Congress, as well as prominent industrialist Asa Fitch. The church raised up at least two important missionaries. The first was Jane Lathrop Cherry, in whose honor the church gives a memorial scholarship each year. The other was Reverend Charles A. Gager, a graduate of Yale and Andover Theological Seminary, who served in Jerusalem.